Place a classified ad
Place a display ad
Posted legal notices
Posted classified ads
   Current Week Issue

Issue #53
Issue #52


Can I bring the form directly to the LA County Recorder?
Yes. If you have time to drive to Norwalk, and wait in line.

Can I mail the form directly to the LA County Recorder?
Sure. If you have 6 weeks to wait for them to mail it back to you.

Look at it this way; you would pay us $50 just to publish it, and the County fee is $23 which you also pay. Our Santa Monica office receives more than 10 DBA's in an average week. . So you could say you pay $32 to us to wait in line and drive for you. ($50 + 23 + 32 = $105).

What might cause them to reject it?
There are many possible reasons, the most frequent being strikeouts or cross outs on the form.

Will you provide me with proof that I published my DBA?
After publishing it 4 times as required by law, we file a Proof of Publication with the LA County Recorder. They compare it to the original, and mail it back to you in about 10 weeks. Again, you need not wait this long to get a copy of the newspaper, which of course also proves you published your DBA.

Do I need to check and see if the name is available?
We're a newspaper. For information on intellectual property, you should consult with an attorney. The L.A. County Recorder will let us file any Fictitious Business Name you choose, but they recommend that you avoid choosing a name someone else already has. If you want to see if anyone else has already recorded the same name, click on this link. The filing of this statement does not of itself authorize the use in this state of a Fictitious Business Name in violation of the rights of another under Federal, State, or common law (See section 14411 at seq. Business and Profession Code). Speaking of lawyers, you may wish to consult with one. Again, we’re a newspaper, not a law firm.

Do I need to pay someone else to publish my DBA?
No. You already paid us to publish it! So, if after you pay us, a newspaper solicits you to publish your DBA in their paper; don't pay them, you already paid us.

How can I get a Federal Taxpayer ID Number
Taxpayer Identification Numbers (i.e., Employer Identification Numbers or EINs), are available online.
To obtain your EIN, click here for IRS Form SS4.

Do you do other types of legal notices?
Yes, we do Petitions for Change of Name, Service by Publication of Summons, Petition to Probate Estate, Notice of Auction, Notice of Bulk Sale, Notice of Trustee Sale, and other legal notices in Santa Monica and Los Angeles County. Call us for details at (310) 452-9900.

Do you do incorporations and LLCs?
We can assist your efforts to file corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs). An attorney is not required to form a corporation, however, if you are unsure of the proper procedures or if you need advice about establishing or operating a corporation, you should contact private legal counsel. Note that we are not a law firm, and do not offer legal advice as to what type of business formation, would be right for you.

How can I do a Statement of Withdrawal from Partnership, or Notice of Abandonment of Fictitious Business Name?
• Click on this link to download the Statement of Withdrawal from Partnership Operating Under Fictitious Business Name Form.
• Click on this link to download the Statement of Abandonment of Use of Fictitious Business Name form.

    DISCLAIMER: Nothing herein is intended as legal advice. We are a newspaper, not a law firm.
                            If you need legal advice, consult with an attorney.
designed by plume  Plume Website
All material on this website is Santa Monica Media Company, LLC. 2008, all rights reserved.
The Observer Newspaper is a legally adjudicated newspaper of general circulation in Santa Monica, California.