Santa Monica Observer DBA

File and Publish Your Fictitious Business Name or DBA


About Us

The Observer Newspaper
The Santa Monica Observer Newspaper, a real world print publication, has been adjudicated a newspaper of general circulation since August 30, 2000 pursuant to order of the Los Angeles Superior Court.

We are on Los Angeles County's list of Newspapers of General Circulation at: A List of General Circulation Newspapers.  Look for "Observer Newspaper, The."

We also publish other legal notices, such as Summons, Order to Show Cause Re Change of Name Petitions, Statements of Abandonment, Notice of Trustee Sale ("foreclosure notices"), Petitions to Probate or Administer Estates, and other legal notices.  Call or e mail us for details.
Our content website, with articles and stories, is here.

Frequently Asked Questions:
1.  Why do I have to publish my DBA in a newspaper?
A: Think of it as an antiquated anti-fraud device.  If you were actually trying to cheat someone by using another name (such as "Mark Zuckerberg" when your name is really Ralph); you certainly wouldn't post it in the newspaper for all to see, would you?

2.  Do you offer any services other than DBAs?
Yes, we also help people file corporations, Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), trademarks, Statements of Abandonment, and Statements of Withdrawl from Partnership.

3.  Why do I have to get my DBA notarized?
Effective January 1, 2015, pursuant to Senate Bill 1467, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk's Office requires a Notarized Affidavit of Identity form to accompany all Fictitious Business Name Statements (Original, Refile and New).

4.  Why don't you publish my DBA online?
Because the current statutes don't require us to put your DBA online, and because many people object to putting their addresses on the internet.

5.  Will you file a Proof of Publication for me?
After we publish your DBA once a week for 4 weeks, we will file a Proof of Publication with the LA County Recorder, in full compliance with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17913, 17917.   

6.  Can you get me a tax ID number for my business?
Yes we can, upon request. You can also do it yourself at

He who hesitates is lost. -- Cicero